Friday, November 15, 2013

The Beginning

Where to start? Why the beginning of course. Grab a comfy seat, this is going to be a long one.

     It all started a few years ago when my oldest brother, B, opened a little gym in his garage doing this crazy thing called crossfit. Fast forward to now and B has a booming business and a box (crossfit for gym) with over 200 members! My other older brother, M, is now also a trainer at the box and finally little sis is joining and making it a family affair.

     A little background on me, if you already know me feel free to skip this paragraph. I'm a 23 year old mom with two beautiful little angels, a 20 month old boy and a 3 month old girl. I'm a stay at home mom and a nursing student. Right now I am out of school since I took a semester off to have my daughter. I will be going back to school in January to work towards my RN. I have an amazing husband who supports me in whatever crazy dream I come up with and works hard to provide for his family. He also joined crossfit with me.

     I have never been one to exercise. I ran track in middle school and played a little soccer but that's pretty much it. I have for the most part been pretty happy with how I looked and I really enjoyed eating pretty much any food I wanted, within reason, and not intentionally exercising. I wasn't fit by any means but I looked at least average. My husband would probably object to my description as average but it's true.

     I got pregnant and gained the textbook perfect 25lbs both times. Thanks to the miracles of breastfeeding I lost all of my baby weight plus a good 5-10lbs on top of that. Breastfeeding is the best diet ever by the way. I wasn't overly thrilled with my post 2 kid body but I made my peace with the dark lines across my stomach, the pouchy look of a stretched out belly and the strange new spider veins all over the backs of my legs.

     I had known about my brother's crazy cult as I affectionately call it. Honestly my opinion of crossfitters was one of "there is something very wrong with you people". I was happy for my brother and the success of his gym but it just didn't seem like it was for me. After all I thought eating cake out of a bucket was and OK dessert.

     Then I went to watch both of my brothers as well as some of the crossfit crew compete in a competition. That's when I realized it. I wanted to do that. Maybe I had some kind of stroke, who knows, but I wanted to do crossfit. I dream of one day being able to compete with my brothers, I don't know if that will ever happen but it's a high goal I have. So when I got home I signed up for the orientation at the box and drank the kool-aid.

    The first workout we did was brutal. The most I exercise in one given day involves running around after a toddler, which is a lot but nothing compared to a crossfit workout. I left the box feeling spent, and a little like throwing up. Then I got home and that exercise high kicked in. I caught the bug. I wanted to go back for more. Maybe there is something crazy about crossfitters...we repeatedly come back for brutally intense workouts over and over and over. It feels SO good though. When that clock counts down you just go for it and it's a crazy rush as you mentally and physically push boundaries you have never been close to before. There is nothing like it.

     It's been a week since I joined the crossfit cult and I'm completely in love. I can't wait to keep on trying to better myself. The best part is I'm creating a better, stronger, and more efficient me. I decided to start this blog to chronicle my life as a new crossfit mom. I know a lot of moms who want to get healthier and become more fit but just don't know where to start. That was me. I knew I wanted to be healthier but I just didn't know where to begin so I ignored it and settled for being content. Well, I've finally woken up and believe me...if I can do it...so can you!



    

No comments:

Post a Comment